- Municipal Services
• Bluenose Coastal Action Foundation updated Council on the Harbour Health Advisory Group status and the Harbour Water Monitoring Project. Weekly harbour water monitoring begins this week and runs through the end of September. Notes on weather conditions etc. will be taken at each test.
The Advisory Group will consist of stakeholders from government, business, and citizens to develop action recommendations – at this time, they have received seven applications from industry and organizations, but none from citizens. The call for applications will go out again.
• Second Story Women’s Centre spoke on their “Girl Talk” summer camp programming; see YouTube video summary: https://youtu.be/3Qz-YAXRMYc
• Council agreed to advertise for new Active Transportation Sub-Committee members, as well as citizen members for the Harbour Health Advisory Group. Councillor Risser was appointed as the Town’s representative to the Harbour Health Advisory Group.
• Council deferred approval on the Lunenburg Academy Landscaping Concept Plan (see Minutes package p. 19) until the Lunenburg Academy Foundation can review and comment.
• A provincial Beautification and Streetscaping Program is available for 2018 as a 50/50 cost share that may be applicable to the Academy exterior signage or Brook Street Boat Launch landscaping. Council agreed to pursue funding applications.
• A report on potentially installing solar panels on the roof of the Wastewater Treatment Plant generated interest. Council asked staff to provide estimates of energy savings and costs.
• Capital cost expenditure was approved for the macerator installation project at the Wastewater Treatment Plant.
• A Film Location permit was granted for a TV shoot for APTN. Council asked for draft guidelines to allow Staff to approve permits, and bring to the General Government Committee.
• Public Works noted in their monthly Water and Wastewater Treatment test report a new procedure for testing fecal coliform bacteria has been implemented which should be more accurate.
Thanks to those who came out!