- Municipal Services
• “Locke & Key”: A new Netflix series will be in town for several days shooting in Town and the surrounding area from March 11-15. A traffic control/closure request for film shoot has been received for in-town shooting on March 11 & 13 (weather date March 14), with permit fees going to the playground fund.
• Plastic Free Lunenburg: PFL provided an update report, with interim findings including broad support for sale/distribution bans on a variety of single-use plastics; their final report is expected for April.Council requested that Town staff collaborate with the lawyer on PFL’s team in drafting a by-law for consideration.
• Lunenburg Library: The library requested the use of a larger ground floor room in Lunenburg Academy to hold an upcoming Mi’kmaw KAIROS Blanket Exercise on March 11, as part of the Truth and Reconciliation process. Council granted the room access, as well as occasional use of the room for overflow, subject to availability.
• Lunenburg Academy Foundation: The LAF requested a $30,000 grant to go towards their Development Coordinator, who is required for the Phase II restoration fundraising to come. Council agreed to pre-approve this item, which is already included in the 2019/20 Draft Budget under review.
• Recreation: Notice of motion to adopt a new “Provincial Volunteer Recognition and Representative Volunteer Selection Process Policy” at the next Council meeting.
• Corporate Services: Council reviewed the Water and Electric Utilities 2019/20 Draft Budgets.
• Luneburg, Germany: Council agreed to send a letter to the mayor of our namesake town in Germany advising that we will not have the resources to plan a cultural exchange in 2019/20. Deputy Mayor McGee will investigate potential smaller project(s).
• Recreation: Council approved a request to use the previously-approved capital project contingency funds for the roof repairs at the Community Centre on additional insulation.
• Corporate Services: Council approved Public Works support for a back flow prevention device at West Nova Fuels associated with the Brook Street Infrastructure project.
Council also approved the Community Centre kitchen lease for the South Shore School Food Project.
Thanks to those who came out!