- Municipal Services
• The South Shore Housing Action Coalition presented a report on Households, Income and Housing across Lunenburg and Queens Counties, stressing the need for supportive and affordable housing rural Nova Scotia.
• Correspondence from the Campaign to Protect Offshore Nova Scotia about proposed offshore drilling near Nova Scotia for Council response was reviewed. Council passed a resolution opposing development of offshore oil exploration in June 2016, and letters were sent to Federal and Provincial government representatives at that time. Council agreed that the letters should be updated and re-sent, indicating the Town’s unchanged position.
• Council agreed to proclaim May 2018 as Lyme Disease Awareness Month and express concern to the Provincial Health Authority about Lyme in our area.
• The NS Fracking Resource & Coalition provided correspondence for information about a move from Guysborough calling for an end to the Provincial ban on hydraulic fracking.
• A letter was received about the impact of Airbnb on registered short-term tourist accommodation was discussed. The Mayor announced that a task force has been struck to address the issue by the Union of Nova Scotia Municipalities and Municipal representatives; Lunenburg is participating in the review.
• Heritage Advisory Committee: Council approved a recommendation to consider four properties for the 2018 Heritage Recognition Awards program. Lunenburg’s Birthday, June 7th, is being considered for the Awards presentation.
• Council requested that the Planning and Development Manager prepare a draft Terms of Reference for a Steering Committee to develop a Request for Proposal for a Comprehensive Community Plan.
• The proposed updated Audit Committee Policy was passed as presented.
• Council selected regional planning, cannabis legalization and policing services as their top policy priorities to be submitted for the Union of Nova Scotia Municipalities. The Mayor will be attending the UNSM Spring Conference.
• The Draft 2018/19 Town Budget was presented to Council. Public consultation meetings have been scheduled at Town Hall on: Tuesday, April 17th at 12:00 p.m. and Tuesday, May 1st at 5:15 p.m.
The Draft Budget can be found on the Town website explorelunenburg.ca by navigating to Municipal Government > Finance and Tax Rates.
• Congratulations were offered to Ben and Roxie Smith for their Provincial Volunteer Award! A Lunenburg Volunteer Civic Reception is being held at the Lunenburg and District Fire Hall on Monday, April 16th at 7:00 p.m. to honour all our volunteers.
Thanks to all who came out!